dnf installs cron.hourly

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Mar 16 06:58:22 UTC 2013

On 03/16/2013 06:55 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On 15/03/13 09:48 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 03/15/2013 07:51 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>>> In this case it seems perfectly logical. The thing in question is a cron
>>> script.
>> May-be I am missing something, but the issue is not cron-jobs in
>> general, it is unwanted, non-user-intended/initiated network access.
>
> You're missing that there are two questions: whether the
> network-accessing-thing should be on by default,
"Unwanted/non-user-intended network access" => Must be disabled by
default and must explicitly activated by user action.

> and what mechanism
> should be used for enabling / disabling it.
Plenty of possibilities: editing a config file, adding a GUI, moving the
cron-stuff into a separate package, removing the cron-stuff and/or
redesigning the tool.

I for one consider the approach of background updating to be a
conceptionally broken and flawed design, lacking generality and usability.

> I was addressing the second
> question, not the first.
OK

Ralf