dnf installs cron.hourly

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Mar 18 12:45:03 UTC 2013

On 18/03/13 12:39, Richard Hughes wrote:

> On 18 March 2013 09:21, Ales Kozumplik <akozumpl at redhat.com> wrote:
>> How does PackageKit implement this?
>
> We ask NetworkManager (or connman) for the network adaptor type. This
> seems to work well, unless someone uses their phone as a portable
> hotspot (i.e. Wifi) and then it fails hard. Code is in
> https://gitorious.org/packagekit/packagekit/trees/master/src -- see
> pk-network-stack*.[c|h].

It's all based on an erroneous presumption however, namely that it is
only mobile broadband connections which have bandwidth restrictions/costs.

A single "unit" of usage on my VDSL connection is worth 2.5Gb of data
during working hours, 50Gb in the evenings or weekends and 1Tb in the
early hours of the morning. Not surprisingly therefore I prefer it if
updates don't suddenly start downloading during working hours, which is
exactly what happened when I upgraded to F18.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/