Is there a reason we do not turn on the file system hardlink/symlink protection in Rawhide?

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Mon Mar 18 13:11:29 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Kees Cook wrote:
>> AFD was a single specific program doing a very specific task and hardly
>> represents an "average workload". I remain extremely disappointed that the
>> default-on state was reverted. Ubuntu has had this feature enabled for
>> YEARS now, and it stopped quite a few exploits cold.
>
> Who knows what other applications this extremely surprising and incompatible
> change breaks?

BTW determining this accurately should be fairly doable[1].  Just look
for symlink() and link() calls (and recursively through wrapper APIs /
language bindings).  These syscalls are fairly rare.
    Mirek

[1] Well, "fairly doable" when compared to the /tmp-on-tmpfs, which is
"just impossible".  It's still man-weeks of work.  Pragmatically
speaking, "It did not break Ubuntu" is not a QA technique that makes
me happy, but might be good enough anyway.