Fwd: MariaDB replacing MySQL

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Mar 18 20:10:06 UTC 2013

Le Lun 18 mars 2013 18:12, Honza Horak a écrit :

> Now I see it was not the best idea to call it MySQL, but yum sees that
> as two different packages, doesn't it?

Honestly? Capitalized package names are a PITA that break searches and
make users miserable. The only reason they're not banned in Fedora (as
they are in other distros) is the huge legacy of capitalized perl
packages. And even perl packagers are not vicious enough to use a capital
as first letter of their names. (people managed to get rid of perl use in
livecds but RHL's perl tooling roots still haunt us).

Don't use caps in package names. Whatever reason you have, it's wrong. If
you think camelcase package names are cool, you're doubly wrong. Like /opt
caps use is the mark of horrid proprietary packages where marketing
overrode common sense.

--
Nicolas Mailhot