fedora release name problem

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 19 13:01:05 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, G.Wolfe Woodbury <redwolfe at gmail.com> said:
> I disagree.  This particular problem points out a problem that is only
> going to become more of a problem as the internationalization of
> software increases.  Not everything is ASCII or English, and not
> defensively programming for such cases is short-sighted.

Okay, but I agree with Adam.  If somebody wants to add support of UTF-8
(and arbitrary characters that need quoting like an apostrophe) in the
boot loader and all associated tools, the Feature deadline has passed.
There should have been a test plan, fallback, etc.

This is a trivial thing to hold up a whole distribution release (even
test releases), especially when there may be bugs lurking in many
unknown places.  Simplify the name for this release, and somebody can
submit a Feature and do proper testing/bug fixing/etc. for a future
release (if and when another name with non ASCII alphanumeric characters
is chosen).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>