fedora release name problem

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Mar 20 11:54:14 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 02:38 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:

>> And Fedora switched to UTF-8 by default when exactly (was it even Fedora
>> or a RHL decision)?
>
> Red Hat Linux 8.0:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Linux

I still remember how many things were broken in that moment (7.3 was considered
the only usable RH for some time, and I have one machine still running it).
RHL 8.0 also changed something at the font level (introduced antialias, maybe
freetype?), so the entire text thing was a minefield.

Anyway, that was the moment which demonstrated to me that Linux was so ahead of
everyone else.
I still fight today with iso88591 and cp1252 and utf16 BOMs and stupid crazy things
which Windows and Java spread around, while everything in Linux always works
perfectly.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it