crash stats and proprietary kernel modules

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 14:30:12 UTC 2013

On 03/21/2013 03:13 PM, Richard Marko wrote:
> On 03/21/2013 02:50 PM, Richard Marko wrote:
>> In last two weeks these components were crashing the most:
>>
>> 1. kernel seen 45496 times (36% of all reports)
>>      http://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/586553/
>>      http://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/258569/
>>
>> 2. xulrunner seen 12020 times (9% of all reports)
>>      http://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/244577/
>>      http://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/294757/
>>

> These two quite popular problems both contain proprietary modules so I
> would like to use this opportunity to start a discussion about inclusion
> of reports containing proprietary or non-supported modules in our
> statistics.
>
> My questions are:
>   - are these helpful or not?

- it depends - helpful for what?
   - for showing that there is a big problem with some proprietary
module? => yes

   - to get it fixed by kernel developers? => probably not, they usually
can't do much about it (can't there be a problem triggered by
proprietary module which is actually a bug in kernel??)

   - to make a point when trying to convince the author of the
proprietary module to fix it? => yes

>   - should we exclude them from our statistics completely or provide a
> way to hide them?

- exclude => no
- add an option so devels can filter them out => yes

--Jirka