fedora release name problem

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 28 20:22:57 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Of course not, but that's kinda different. In the one case, the long
> slip bought us an entirely rewritten installer. In this case, any
> potential slip buys us...a prettified release name. Gee, willikers,
> watch me trying to restrain my excitement.

In any case, what this teaches us is that release names are not "harmless
fun" as the fans of continuing with release names have repeatedly claimed.
This pointless "fun" has a real cost. In this case, it actually PREVENTED
SYSTEMS FROM BOOTING! And once this got worked around, we're still wasting
time trying to fix issues with non-ASCII characters in the release name. Not
to mention all the time wasted discussing the nonsense.

Let's drop release names NOW (ideally immediately, before the F19 release)!
The harmFUL "fun" is not worth the harm it causes.

If some tools expect a release name, just use Nineteen as the release name.

        Kevin Kofler