package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Mar 29 01:09:20 UTC 2013

Le jeudi 28 mars 2013 à 17:45 +0100, Vít Ondruch a écrit :

> If this problem was put first time on the table in 2002,
> then there already passed 10 years of excuses.

Or that in 10 years, we didn't found a proper solution that was
sustainable.

> It is interesting to see
> that our competition can do much more with our technology then we do.

Depend on what you define as "competition" and "our technology".
While this could be anything, I will assume that you are speaking of
debian, cause that's the only one that make sense to me.

If I am not wrong, on debian, you can have 1 single source package that
by magic could generate multiple packages for multiple runtimes ( for
example, for python ). The issue of having multiple stack remain ( ie, 2
stack just mean twice the QA, twice more bugs for that packager ), but
that greatly reduce the burden, that's right.

Now, I do not know ho we could do exept by redoing large part of
specfile, or by having some macro that generate half of the spec
automatically. This could be done ( like that's done for debuginfo ),
and I have seen creative way to mass generate packages, so that exist in
the wild.

But I am not sure if you are talking of that.

--
Michael Scherer