Adding open-vm-tools to core group

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu May 2 17:40:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 08:31:38PM -0700, Ravindra Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is going to very useful for users if we install open-vm-tools inside a VM on VMware always.
>
> For this, I'm proposing following design:
> 1. Add open-vm-tools to the core package group
> 2. Modify Anaconda to uninstall open-vm-tools after installation if install is not running on a VM on VMware
>
> Could someone from Minimal Core SIG please help me through the process to make this change?

I'm Ravindra's sponsor.

Just to clarify a few points:

- VMware are trying to work better with Fedora, and to help this along
  I've been supervising him adding open-vm-tools to Fedora.

- Because this is just starting out, there are a few mixed messages,
  including some advice to remove open-vm-tools (which is now, or soon
  will be wrong advice).  I hope that Ravindra can work with his
  employers to get that advice changed as necessary.

- As Dan said, the open-vm-tools package only starts the service if
  the hypervisor is VMware.

I'll leave the particulars of whether this package should go in
minimal or not, or on the CD or not, to others.  However if you need
us to split the package further or make other changes to improve the
chances of inclusion, let Ravindra know, and I will help him to do
this.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v