Adding open-vm-tools to core group

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu May 2 20:29:44 UTC 2013

Am 02.05.2013 21:41, schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:

>>> Rather than trying to only install it in particular scenarios, it is
>>> better to install it everywhere and then make sure that it is a no-op
>>> unless it is running inside VMWare. Not least because if we're building
>>> a cloud image, the initial build environment likely won't involve VMware
>>> at all, but the ultimate runtime environment may well be VMWare.
>>
>> I was thinking about this approach but the only downside is
>> physical deployments and non-VMware VMs. I'm not sure if it
>> is common to install unused packages on system.
>
> The system is full of hardware drivers that are only activated when the
> hardware is found. That makes moving a system image trivial. It is well
> worth the disk use as long as the hardware tools are not obese or the
> hardware marginal

drivers are a total different topic

recent and for fedora relevant kernels are including any server
relevant drivers, with 3.9 even vsock and vmci are in the upstream
kernel, for F19 there is a 3.9 kernel available which works also
on F18 and i guess 3.9 for F18 will come soon

in short: the days where you need vmware drivers in a guest from
additional packages are long gone - said from one who drives a whole
comapny infrastructure since 2008 on Fedora/Vmware vSphere