when startup delays become bugs

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed May 15 00:26:21 UTC 2013

On May 14, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> said:
>> The only things related to networking I change is setting a hostname from localhost to f18s, f19s or f19q; and occasionally adding the b43 firmware if I decide to go wireless.
>
> Do you add the changed hostname to /etc/hosts?

No. I set the hostname in the installer and that seems sufficient.

>  If not, sendmail (and
> some other things) will stop for some time trying to resolve the local
> hostname to an IP address.

That sounds like a sendmail bug, and yet the previously cited bug for sendmail says that this is not a bug, it's expected behavior. On the face of it, that sounds specious to me only because I'm finding this to be a rather user hostile experience at the moment. If sendmail's requirement is valid, then anaconda and hostnamectl need to set /etc/hosts, not just /etc/hostname. Burdening the user with this extraneous tidbit for a service that's installed *and* enabled by default is unreasonable.

But the sendmail issue is a distraction from the bigger question I was asking which is at what threshold are service startup times reasonable vs not reasonable and are their maintainers looking at this or do testers need to file bugs on them?

What's initiating my grip is that it's taking upwards of a minute to be able to ssh into the system. I get a login prompt on the system's display itself, before I'm able to ssh into it, which is the opposite of my expectation.

Chris Murphy