when startup delays become bugs

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu May 16 18:58:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, 16.05.13 12:51, Chris Murphy (lists at colorremedies.com) wrote:

> On May 16, 2013, at 12:39 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> >

> > Hmm, on your machine, what does "systemctl show -p WantedBy -p
> > RequiredBy systemd-udev-settle.service" show? This will tell us which
> > package is actually responsible for pulling in
> > systemd-udev-settle.service.
>
> RequiredBy=
> WantedBy=dmraid-activation.service
>
> I'm not using dmraid, or md raid, or any kind of raid at the moment. I also have this entry, previously explained in this thread as probably not being needed unless dmraid is being used, so is the likely offender for udev-settle.
>
>           2.823s dmraid-activation.service

Given that this is really only needed for exotic stuff I do wonder why
we need to install this by default even.

Good to know though that LVM isn't the primary reason why we are
slow. Now it's dmraid.

And thank you, LVM guys, for getting rid of the udev-settle dep. Much appreciated!

> And I missed one other I don't understand, which is a top 3 offender:
>
>           9.855s accounts-daemon.service
> # We pull this in by graphical.target instead of waiting for the bus
> # activation, to speed things up a little: gdm uses this anyway so it is nice
> # if it
>
> Fine, but 10 seconds seems like a lot of time, but is it?

Hmm, yeah, 10s is a lot, especially since this service is loaded kinda
late and shouldn't really do anything.

Matthias, any clue what this might be about? Does accounts-daemon do
anything on start-up that might take long? Network stuff?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.