Software Management call for RFEs

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed May 22 22:55:50 UTC 2013

On 05/22/2013 04:44 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 23:30 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
>> different set of dependent packages, leading to some sort of
>> combinatorial explosion of QA.
>
> Right now we have approximately seven zillion combinatorial explosions
> of QA, so one more on the pile is not going to make much of an
> appreciable difference...though it could spell all kinds of fun for
> image composes, I suspect.
>
> Still, I don't see how that's really worth doing instead of just using a
> virtual provide. The OP's reasoning for not using a virtual provide
> sounded rather specious to me. The two things are functionally
> equivalent so far as I can see. Just different syntax.

I'll get more specific then:

python-pyface can use two different graphics backends - either wxPython or
pyQt4.  In no way do these two packages provide the same thing in any
meaningful way other than to pyface.  So, while one could go the provides
route, it doesn't seem to make sense to me.  I suppose I could ask for:

Provides: pyface-backend

in both PyQt4 and wxPython.  Think that would make sense?

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com