Software Management call for RFEs

Ravindra Kumar ravindrakumar at vmware.com
Wed May 22 23:28:44 UTC 2013

>> Having a fake package in DB makes it very static. I think a
>> dynamic (evaluated each time rpm commands are run) implementation
>> will be more useful for the cases like P2V and V2V.

> The problem I see here is that you can boot the same OS on different
> hypervisors or (with P2V) transfer it from physical to virtual.
> Should RPM start (un-)installing things when this happens?  Could a
> reboot result in broken dependencies?

No, I was not thinking of reboot/RPM changing anything already
installed. I was referring to DB solution as static because
it would stick one configuration forever. Instead, I was
thinking of RPM to always base its decision on the environment
where it is running at that point of time and provide a way
to override RPM behavior so that advanced users can make a
choice.

Thanks,
Ravindra