Software Management call for RFEs

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri May 24 09:38:55 UTC 2013

On 05/24/2013 10:21 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 24.05.2013 07:08, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>>> By doing "yum reinstall nagios" I don't have the the default config
>>> files (i.e. nagios.cfg.rpmnew is not created). This happens only on
>>> upgrades.
>>
>> yum remove <pkg>
>> yum install <pkg>
>>
>> should do what you want (backups of modified config files)
>
> and how do you imagine work around a dependency hell unintsalling
> half of your system depending on what package you uninstall?

If you for some reasons want to avoid this (in most cases there is no
reason to avoid this), you can replace the "yum remove" with
"rpm --nodeps -e <pkg>"

i.e. use
rpm --nodeps -e <pkg>
yum install <pkg>

It will generate config backup files and install fresh ones.

> there is a reason "reinstall" exists

reinstall only "reinstalls" but doesn't "reinstall from scratch"

> and your idea is not smart
> nor a solution
Well, ... if you think so, ... I disagree, it works quite well.

Ralf