Fedora search

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Sat Nov 2 00:32:42 UTC 2013

This will be my last mailing on this topic as I will not contribute or use this
feature in Fedora, but this reply warranted clarification.

On 11/01/2013 06:14 PM, Alek Paunov wrote:
> Another simple answer: CSE is a low quality search - no facets, no (real)
> content age restriction. The same is valid also for every other
> service/application which is solely based on generic web pages crawling.

CSE is as full blown as a Google Appliance. More advanced than anything you can
write in Perl/Python/Ruby in a month. Site restrictions, keyword restrictions,
(real) age restrictions, autocomplete help, synonyms, image search, all of which
are provided through a XML API.[1]

> In our case, we are the owners of the content, we know how it is structured, we
> know where are the feeds with the pure content changes, we can explicitly feed
> the indexes with all named attributes of the content nodes and later use them.

But you don't know how other people on the web find and link to Fedora pages to
provide accurate page ranking.

> IMHO, actually the first and more important step for us is these sources to be
> specified on a wiki page, and to be glued index feeding transports based on
> these source types.

Good luck.

[1] https://developers.google.com/custom-search/docs/xml_results