gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Nov 2 22:38:12 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 06:21:34PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > So, really, it's this related point that I'm concerned about now. We _need_
> > to do these things in coordination, not just push a situation into F20 where
> > we are telling our users to reboot everyday -- that's a pretty bad user
> > experience. Even weekly feels like a lot.
> Then change the way that updates to the released distribution are
> treated. As long as we don't constrain the constant stream of barely
> tested updates, we *are* pretty much forcing our users to restart their
> system frequently.

That's been proposed, but we need to work together to do that.

There was a discussion at Flock, and particularly the QA team felt relucant.
I've been thinking about this recently (I guess not completely by
coincidence) and _do_ want to drive that forward... but not just by
unilaterally changing parts of the system before it all works.

> We will look at allowing non-offline updates of applications when we
> have applications that are truly standalone and separate from the OS
> itself.

Where here "we" is Gnome, again?