Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Nov 3 13:42:32 UTC 2013

Christian Schaller wrote:
> The PRD avoids these questions by design. To often open source discussions
> end up being discussions about the merits of the means as opposed to the
> actual goals.

Well, I disagree about the basic decision of whether we want a standard
desktop UI or something, uh, "different", being only "about the merits of
the means".

> It should be a sobering notion that for all the years when the community
> discussed if the a successful desktop should be implemented in C or C++ we
> ended up having our collective thunder stolen by a desktop written in
> Objective-C.

That really didn't have anything to do with the merits of Objective C, or
even of the desktop, but only with marketing. If Objective C were that
great, we'd all be using GNUstep.

        Kevin Kofler