gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Nov 4 11:53:12 UTC 2013

Am 04.11.2013 12:49, schrieb Florian Weimer:
> On 11/02/2013 09:27 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> instead going the easy windows-way and say "ok, you have to reboot"
>
> I don't think this is a technically accurate characterization of the Windows update mechanism.  Windows even allows
> updating processes through in-memory patching and compiles most functions with a special prologue to support this:
>
> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782258%28v=ws.10%29.aspx>

technical background is completly irrelevant in this context because the typical
windows behavior over years was "you did something reboot now" and that Microsoft
is working to reduce this as your link describes leaves a even more bad taste
in the mouth now going the other direction on Linux systems

that is no improvement, that is a step backwards 10 years or so