Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Nov 4 12:55:54 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz
> <mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:
> > On 01.11.2013 15:24, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >> Attached is the draft PRD for the Workstation working group. The
> >> proposal tries to be relatively high level and focus on goals and
> >> principles, but I have included some concrete examples at times to try
> >> to provide some clarity on how the goals and principles could play out
> >> in practice.
> >>
> >> I hope the community at large will take the time to read through it and
> >> provide feedback so that when the working group meet next we can use
> >> that feedback to start tuning in on the final form of the PRD.
> >>
> >> Also in the name of openness, before I sent this here, I showed the PRD
> >> draft to key stakeholders and decision makers inside Red Hat, to ensure
> >> that we have the necessary support for these plans to get the kind of
> >> engineering resources allocated from Red Hat we will need to pull this
> >> off.
> >>

> > It looks like it is designed only for developers by developers.
> >
> > What about graphic designers, musicians, document writers, etc.? They
> > all are not mentioned as target audience.
>
> Per this document, those would fall into the "Other users" section.

Yes, these are there but I'm not sure such strict message - Fedora Workstation
is for developers DOT (and that's my feeling from current PRD) - is something
we want.

So I'd like to have a bit more higher level audience as described above -
free/libre content creators, where developers are one big, important subset. If
someone is going to invest there, it's great, it will definitely help all content
creators audience but let's not frighten them just by sending wrong message.
I agree it's harder to aim on the group one level up, we already wanted to aim on
this group but so far we failed. Myabe not because it wasn't well defined, just
nobody cared about it (or our hands were tied by our upstreams).

And ultimate goal where should desktop Fedora end would be not only to be base
for content creators but also part of this ecosystem. I hate this word but it's
definitely changing the whole industry. Create content on Fedora and Fedora can
help with distribution of free content. As we currently do with software. Libre
music, videos, books - let's have a store for that too! It'll also help with
that problem - I installed Fedora I can't play my mp3s I download, movies -
point users to libre replacements, help them to understand our values and say
yes - these you can play with stock Fedora!

But yeah, forget my dream in the last paragraph and let's concentrate on the
second one - the third one will come with content creators coming :).

Jaroslav