Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 19:15:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
>> And, by the way, we've been supporting this kind of model with pip
>> and gem already, so I really don't get why all the fuss when
>> suddenly we want to do it with the desktop applications.
>>

> Please don't use pip and gem as "positive" examples... they have a
> habit of conflicting with the installed system that is an additional
> problem we may hope to solve with this.

It's worth pointing out that they're positive examples to the
developers using them.  They want to work on their applications and
not have to fight against the distro's versions.  And those developers
are particularly the ones being targeted with containerized apps.  So
equating the two in a positive light probably isn't a bad idea.  Those
developers care about their apps.  They don't care about the distros.
Maybe just phrase it as "this is like pip and gem, but without the
conflict headaches."

josh