Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 4 19:18:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 04.11.2013 19:33, schrieb Alberto Ruiz:
>> It is outrageous that it's 2013 and I still have to upgrade my whole
>> system just to get the latest LibreOffice version to name an example.
>
> no it is the reason why who have tousands of packages which are working
> togehter and get security updates for all involved libraries instead
> having the windows nightmare of nobody in the world is knowing which
> vulernerable code sleeps in what random application

And for lower level or more mature projects, that is a great model to
follow.  Not every upstream project is like that though.

> having *a distribution* is one of the best things Linux systems are
> providing compared to crap like Apple/Microsoft, throwing that away
> is a straight road to make Fedora obsolete at all

Nobody is throwing it away.

> someoby does not like the concept -> fine, use another OS - period

That isn't a great attitude to carry forward.  I'd rather try and find
a good balance between the two so we don't relegate Fedora to less
than it could be.

josh