Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Nov 4 20:00:42 UTC 2013

Am 04.11.2013 20:47, schrieb drago01:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> ok - two exceptions - VMware Workstation and ZendStudio
>> both are running since years on Fedora systems @home as
>> well @work on 4 different workstations
>
> So even your specific case would be helped in such a system. Maybe for
> you this are "two exceptions" but for others they might be more then
> two.
> Try for once to think in broader terms ... there are use cases and
> users beyond your personal workstations and server infrastructure.
> And even
> if your stuff "worked well for years" it does not mean that is perfect
> and there is no room for improvement

nothing is perfect and will ever be for all usecases

but with the easy.click-there-and-install-a-bundle way i most likely
would not have started to build my own RPMs, cleanup anything and
make decisions to throw things away which does not fit in this concept

going only the easy way is most times wrong looking at the big picture

the result of never have a need to learn doing things the right way
would in my case never leaded in build a complete company infrastructure
based on the expierience of my personal machine for two years before

if Fedora want to do his userbase a favor it should spend more thoughts
in not breaking existing user expierience with not-ready alpha quality
software like KDE4.0, the first GNOME3 releases or say it in other words
not try to "be the first for the sake of beeing the first" without
compromises

not only once such decisions leaded even for power users like me knowing
every single configuration file of my system and understand what every
piece of software *did* in pure anger because working things was replaced
by not-ready-for-users replacements mising functions or full of bugs
and unfinished concepts

before try to please the ordianary users not care about anything Fedora
should hardly try to not repeatly spit power-users with much expierenice
in their faces with too soon big changes

after get that well done you should care about users not care about
how a operating system and distribution works at all because they
will never honor the distributions work that way users like me would
do if things not break that often