various mishandlings of corrupt GPT

Jeffrey Bastian jbastian at redhat.com
Mon Nov 4 22:09:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 12:46:17PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Jeffrey Bastian <jbastian at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I have a system that corrupts the backup GPT on every reboot.
>
> Certain RAID implementations write metadata at the end of the disk and
> step on the backup GPT in this manner. But that was on computers with
> BIOS firmware that weren't GPT aware. UEFI firmware obviously should
> be GPT aware so it'd be quite a bungling if its firmware RAID were
> writing metadata where the backup GPT goes. But it's worth seeing if
> the firmware is up to date.

Reartes Guillermo mentioned the same thing with RAID in BZ 951244, so I
checked my system UEFI settings and indeed it was configured for RAID.
I switched it to AHCI and that solved the problem!  No more backup GPT
corruption!

I switched it back to RAID just to be sure and the backup GPT was
corrupt again.

I guess I'll leave it in AHCI since I wasn't using the hardware RAID
anyway.

Thank you!
Jeff