Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Nov 4 23:06:41 UTC 2013

Le lundi 04 novembre 2013 à 23:16 +0100, Reindl Harald a écrit :

> Am 04.11.2013 22:25, schrieb Stephen Gallagher:
> > On 11/04/2013 04:01 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >> Huh? How is github relevant to an end user at all? They do not care
> >> if the source code of their software comes from github, SourceForge
> >> or some lone developer's HDD. They get it all from a distro.
> >
> > That's really not true any more in a world built on top of Ruby,
> > Django, Node.js...
> >
> > In most cases, the people using these technologies don't use the
> > distribution packages at all. They instead use 'rubgyem-install',
> > 'easy_install/pip' and 'npm install'. The only thing they care about
> > from the distro (sometimes!) is having those tools present
>
> who is "they"?
> any countable numbers of "them"?

I guess that the same countable numbers we can see in  "they get it all
from a distro".

If I may, I would suggest that being a bit more consistent in your
critics would benefit your position.

> don't forget that you never have real numbers in case of a Linux
> distribution and a few people telling you doing so is not "they"
> in context of the real userbase

I was giving a talk at pycon.fr last week, and spend the 3 days
discussing with people. Most people I discussed with ( coders and
sysadmins alike ) were fully ok with using pip install, much to my
dismay as a Fedora member.

And those are people that write free softwares, people who contribute to
the whole ecosystem, and people we want to help to write more free
software.

maybe you think they do not matters and we shouldn't care and only focus
on your usecase, but I would disrespectfully disagree, despites the
energy you spent on this thread trying to restlessly convince people.

--
Michael Scherer