Draft Product Description for Fedora Workstation

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Nov 5 09:51:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 06:19:48PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I disagree with the premise that to get anywhere, we would need to bend over
> backwards to the proprietary market and adopt their inferior software
> distribution strategies. If that were true, we could give up right here,
> we'd have already lost.

[..]
> > If Adobe were to want Photoshop on a linux desktop, I think that would be
> > great news. It would be hugely disruptive.
>
> Hugely disruptive to your freedom, indeed… What's wrong with GIMP?

I don't get why you want to force your view of freedom onto everyone.

These sandboxed applications is not just for proprietary software. I
don't think it'll replace the current distribution model. It will
generate some competition. IMO competition is good, instead of
preventing sandboxed applications, show that the packaged applications
are preferred.

Now such distribution of applications also easily allow proprietary
applications: Awesome, finally! Easy to run Steam, Photoshop, etc.

The kernel is GPL and doesn't force this licence on Adobe. You can have
whatever license you want as application. These sandboxed applications
do suffer from various drawbacks, so better to believe in your solution
than to try and block another view IMO.

--
Regards,
Olav