AppData: what if screenshots are the wrong aspect ratio?

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 21:25:05 UTC 2013

I just took a look at making AppData xml files for the packages I
maintain.  I started with the alphabetically first one (why not?):
abe.  Here is my first attempt:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<application>
 <id type="desktop">abe.desktop</id>
 <licence>CC0</licence>
 <summary>Abe's Amazing Adventure</summary>
 <description>
   Abe's Amazing Adventure is a scrolling, platform-jumping, key-collecting,
   ancient pyramid exploring game, vaguely in the style of similar games for
   the Commodore+4.  The game is intended to show young people (I'm writing
   it for my son's birthday) all the cool games they missed.
 </description>
 <screenshots>
  <screenshot type="default">http://abe.sourceforge.net/screen0-4-1.png</screenshot>
  <screenshot>http://abe.sourceforge.net/screen2-4-2.png</screenshot>
 </screenshots>
 <url type="homepage">http://abe.sourceforge.net/</url>
 <!-- FIXME: change this to an upstream email address for spec updates
 <updatecontact>someone_who_cares at upstream_project.org</updatecontact>
  -->
</application>

But those screenshots are not the right aspect ratio.  What is the
right thing to do here?  Just use this anyway and let the GUIs decide
how to resize the screenshots?  Download the screenshots and figure
out how to massage them into the right aspect ratio on my machine?  If
so, where do I store the massaged screenshots?

Also, the documentation at
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/ doesn't say what a
screenshot type is supposed to be.  I gathered that one should have
type "default" and the rest should have no type by looking at some
examples.  If that's not correct, could the documentation be updated
to explain this, please?

Thanks,
--
Jerry James