[Fedora Base Design WG] Committee FESCO approved, next steps

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 13:41:25 UTC 2013

On 11/06/2013 05:43 AM, Jon wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2013 12:01 PM, "Stephen Gallagher" <sgallagh at redhat.com
> <mailto:sgallagh at redhat.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > --
>  > devel mailing list
>  > devel at lists.fedoraproject.org <mailto:devel at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>  > Fedora Code of Conduct: http://fedoraproject.org/code-of-conduct
>
> Howdy folks.
>
> Looking forward to getting to work on base design. Regarding the voting
> members I feel we have a great group. Everyone intersted (voting or not)
> should participate in our discussions. My vote will certainly be
> influenced by anyone in the community willing to participate.  :-)

100% :)

> One thing I would like to talk about is embedded Fedora, mostly as that
> is my personal area of involvement with the project.  There is not an
> embedded working group, and it's my agenda to hopefully have the base
> design double as embedded.  It makes sense to me in the sense that base
> ring-zero is sort of the embedded core into cloud, server, or
> workstation. By itself base would be suitable for the smallest deployment.

Thats a really good point, and one i do share as well: The Base needs to
be able to serve as a starting point for every current and any potential
future Fedora products. And to do so means we need to find the smallest
common denominator. Of course this is just my personal opinion, and
we'll discuss this among many other topics during our meetings. And last
but not least in collaboration with the other WGs, as they rely on us to
deliver something they can use as a, well, "Base". ;)

> Another item I'd like to consider for the initial discussion is the
> release cycle for the base design. My feeling is that base is small
> enough and simple enough to allow a more frequent release, perhaps even
> continuously. My guess is the other WGs will have their own ideas for
> how frequently they output. So base WG would need to be the lowest
> common denominator in that way. Obviouly rel-eng and qa need to
> represent for this topic. :-)

Right, release cycle will definitely be a hot topic, and i'd like us to
investigate different types as well, e.g. not a time based but a major
feature based cycle (e.g. new upstream kernel -> new release),
continuous, support time for releases, what about feature backports and
so forth. Lots revolving around those topics i think.

One request i also already got was if we in the Base WG could take a
look at containers/sandboxes for applications as well. Basically so that
the technology could be used by any derived product built on top of
Base. And as there are currently multiple competing technologies being
worked on (docker.io, systemd containers, libvirt-lxc, openshift
cartridges) we'd need to evaluate those and decide which one(s) we'd
want to offer as a "standard" from the Base product.

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Manager Core Services        | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111