gnome software shell search provider? [Re: Is Gnome Software ready for primetime?]

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Nov 6 22:08:52 UTC 2013

Am 06.11.2013 23:03, schrieb Miloslav Trmač:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Przemek Klosowski
> <przemek.klosowski at nist.gov> wrote:
>> We don't have a way of telling which updates REQUIRE reboot(*)--but solving
>> this problem by rebooting always is not right, in my opinion.
>
> This information is already available in bodhi.  It's probably not
> very accurate, but it is there, and it could be made more accurate
> without changing the client-side tools.

i always take "lsof | grep DEL | grep /usr" do get a list of processes
which have deleted files open which are exactly the libraries re updated

systemctl restart daemon1.service daemon2.service....

and i prefer that much to restart a service automatically after update
because several reasons:

* i can deploy updates to any machines without interrupt services
* i can choose to restart not-so-important ones, take a breath and coffee
* and then i restart services on machines in my preferred order
* the preferred order may depend on how services on different machines work together
* that also is scriptable because ik now which services on what amchines work together

it should not be that hard to refer a service list this way and offer the user
to restart them or ignore it for whatever reason (a reason could be that he
one hour later goes home and shut down the machine anyways)