unaccessability

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Sun Nov 10 21:22:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, 08.11.13 17:22, Kevin Fenzi (kevin at scrye.com) wrote:

> > > GNOME supports the Terminal key just fine. But just having your
> > > commandd run in a terminal is not quite enough to give it an
> > > identity as a separate application - to the rest of the system it
> > > will appear just as a terminal. The extra arguments that Christian
> > > shows there help to overcome this problem.
> >
> > But they hardcode the terminal application to gnome-terminal, which
> > is unacceptable!
>
> Let me rephrase that in a way that is more productive:
>
> Would it be possible to use xdg-terminal or whatever is set as default
> handler for application/x-xdg-terminal-emulator to run the command?
> That may well have reduced functionality, but still might fit in with
> what the user set.

Yes, please, let's totally wrap everything in shell scripts, so that
things get simpler and faster and everything. Let's also try to push
"standards" that instead of actually standardizing on anything just wrap
other software creating more "abstraction layers", because that's cool
and that's how "standards" are best written.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat