Can we have better ssh fingerprint collision messages?

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Mon Nov 11 22:24:09 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> said:
> no - i simply took the host-key of another machine in my "known_hosts" file
> pressed save and tried to connect to the host, maybe this happens because
> there are more than one lines for each host (IP, only local part, FQ) but
> that is in fact what you get

If you didn't change it to match exactly what you attempted to connect
to (e.g. if you made an entry for "foo.mydomain.com" and then just did
"ssh foo"), the line is not matched.  If you manually make multiple
lines with the same host, I'm not sure what OpenSSH does (because it
doesn't create such entries); it may only care about the first match.

If there is no match to the host, you get the output you described; if
there is a match but the key is different, you get the original poster's
desired output.  This is standard (and I believe non-configurable)
OpenSSH behavior going back to the beginning (and IIRC to the original
SSH code before OpenSSH started).

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>