[pkgdb2] call for testers, bug reports and RFE

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Wed Nov 13 13:52:27 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I have been working for some time on the next version of packagedb/pkgdb [1].

I am at a point where I think it starts to look good, the unit-tests are passing
and I seem to be able to do what I want with it. Thus I thought this would be a
good time to call for testers and collect bug reports and RFE.

The development instance of pkgdb2 is at:

  http://209.132.184.188/

I contains the data from pkgdb1 from about a month ago.
It has a dedicated API (which need some more documentation), the documentation
of pkgdb2 itself isn't written yet (so the link in the footer won't work).

Among the changes:

- The idea of "owner" of a package disapear. There are only maintainers on which
one of them appears to be the dedicated "point of contact" for this package (ie:
the person that gets the bugs in bugzilla).

- No more javascript and ajax call to do basic ACLs management

- The possibility to have ACL for FAS groups is implemented with the following
limitations:

  - It needs a change in FAS (pull-request merged) and a new FAS release (no ETA)
  - These groups have a dedicated type, 'pkgdb', in FAS, this mean one can join
    the perl-sig FAS group, get the email, follow the discussions while not
    getting 'commit' ACL on the packages.
  - These groups will require the user to be in the packager group before they
    can be added.
  - Groups cannot have the 'approveacls' ACL, they are only there to serve as point
    of contact and provide 'commit' ACLs to the group members.
    This means that when the package is created in pkgdb2, it will be created for
    the user that submitted the review, who can then 'give' it to the SIG of his/her
    choice. This user will be the only one with 'approveacl' (unless he/she gives
    this right to someone else).

- Pending ACLs
  When you log in, you will see a 'Pending ACLs' item in the menu, this will give
  you an overview of all the ACLs 'Awaiting Review'.

So please, have a look at it, play with it, break it (no seriously, do, but don't
forget to report how you did it afterward) and if you have any problem/RFE feel
free to note them at:

  https://github.com/fedora-infra/packagedb2/

The read API should be in place and working, the write API is still work in
progress with regards to managing authentication.
So, if you have tools using it/relying on it, on its API, feel free to poke at
it and let me know how it behaves.
Pkgdb-cli will be updated in a near future to the new API, once the
authentication question has been solved.

Happy testing!

Pierre