F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 19:29:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 01:29:58PM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> >> If someone wanted to install just OpenJDK for their own in-house
> >> Java application they would have to know to request full -x11
> >> version. I would wager we'd be receiving a lot of bugs if we went
> >> this way. If someone needs headless they will be actively looking
> >> for it. If they want "java" they will not consider that they
> >> might get incomplete version. Not to mention possible 3rd party
> >> RPMs that might exist

<nod>

> > what about having a "java-1.7.0-openjdk" meta-package obsoleting
> > the existing one and pulling *both* but decide if Fedora packages
> > if the headless is enough for dependencies and so packagers of
> > sevrer software can require this?
> >
> > this way you would have the least surprise for someone who does not
> > care about the difference and expects the full one by install
> > "java-1.7.0-openjdk" but make it really easy to uninstall any
> > graphical dependencies on servers
> >

> I agree with Reindl here, if I understand him correctly. It would
> certainly break upgrades in an unexpected way if an upgrade from
> "java-1.7.0-openjdk" suddenly stopped carrying the graphical components.

Note -- I think that the way the feature has things constructed would
achieve something similar.  The java package is essentially java-x11.  It
would Require: java-headless.

So yum install java will get you the java w/X11 support.

[...]
> I think it would be wise to do the same for Java. Create
> 'java-openjdk-1.7.0-headless' and 'java-openjdk-1.7.0--x11' and then
> have the 'java-openjdk-1.7.0' metapackage install both of them.

I can see one advantage to this approach: it lets us tell packagers that
Requires: java should no longer be used.  Packagers should determine whether
they're using APIs that require X and either Requires: java-x11 or Requires:
java-headless based on what they really need.  We can then audit the
packageset at a later date to determine which packages haven't adjusted
their Requirements yet.

-Toshio