Using git for patch management in Fedora

Alek Paunov alex at declera.com
Wed Nov 20 17:11:11 UTC 2013

On 20.11.2013 11:19, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 03:36:54PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> One note though, I think that in the past one of the discussion points we've
>> foundered on is whether we want to be mirroring upstream's git repo or
>> (approximately) upstream's releases.  I think that's probably where we'd
>> need to start discussion.
>
>>From the point of view of patch management, I have a strong view here:
>
> We should be mirroring upstream's git, if they have one.
>
> The reason is that it makes it trivial to cherry pick upstream patches
> on top of the Fedora branch.
>
> So I'd arrange it by having a straight mirror of upstream, then have
> our own 'fNN-branch' branches which contain the upstream releases
> (ideally from upstream tags if they are using git sensibly) + our
> cherry picked patches.

What you (and Daniel yesterday, and Karel, and ... likely everybody)
clarifying is the natural scheme:

fsource:
  XYZ:
   XYZ[ref1]:
    fNN-overlay
   XYZ[ref2]:
    fNM-overlay

fsource[XYZ][fNN].acls <- dist-git[XYZ][fNN].acls
dist-git[XYZ][fNN].patches <- XYZ[fNN-overlay] - XYZ[ref1]
dist-git[XYZ][fNN].source <- XYZ[ref1].tarball
Optionally:
   dist-git[XYZ][fNN].changelog <- ~.filter(~.patches)

I have been thinking for intermediate steps with less resources
allocation, but obviously there are consensus across the maintainers
according the workable approach.

Kind Regards,
Alek