Using git for patch management in Fedora

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 10:41:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 09:29:35AM +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> And if you call simply `tito build --rpm` with builder configured as
> `tito.distributionbuilder.DistributionBuilder`. It will create pristine tar
> ball from last upstream tag (and that tar have same timestamps as upstream
> and therefore md5 will match).

It's pretty common that people don't maintain autotools generated
stuff in git. It means that upstream release (tarball) is not only
source code from git but it also contains unique files generated on
maintainer's machine. It means that for spec file Source: we still
need the original upstream tarball.

> And automatically modify spec (in temporary
> directory) with:
> Patch0: foo-1.2-1-to-foo-1.2-2.patch
> Patch1: foo-1.2-1-to-foo-1.2-3.patch
> Where each patch is concated commits between tagged releases.
>
> You can find more information in:
> yum install tito
> man tito.props
> man tito
>
> And BTW Tito have interface to Fedora dist-git (man releasers.conf).
>
> [1] https://github.com/dgoodwin/tito

 Nice, thanks.

    Karel

--