F21 Self Contained Change: Replace Bacula with Bareos

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 26 18:44:04 UTC 2013

Simone Caronni wrote:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg57308.html

Hmmm, that guy is painting a somewhat different picture of the situation of
the 2 projects than your Change page. In particular, he claims the community
version is not dead. (Is that credible?) (He does admit that Bacula is using
the crippleware business model though.)

His vague allegations of copyright infringement in Bareos lack any kind of
details required to verify them though.

> https://www.bareos.org/en/faq/items/copyright_bacula_bareos.html

And of course the Bareos folks claim that there isn't any infringement.

So, whom can Fedora believe in this dispute? What if the vague allegations
are really just FUD (as Bareos is claiming)? Then we'd be blocking a project
based only on FUD and encouraging more such FUD being spread to deny
competitors a place in Fedora…

Another thing that strikes me as very odd is that Bacula is apparently
copyrighted by the FSFE, yet they use the crippleware business model. I
thought the FSF (and the FSFE) were strongly against crippleware (or "Open
Core" as they called it once in an essay)!

That said, the FSFE is probably the way out of this mess. If they are the
real copyright holders, we just need to contact THEM about the issue and get
a statement from them, ignoring the Bacula guy entirely.

        Kevin Kofler