Retiring fuse-smb package

Marcin ZajÄ…czkowski mszpak at wp.pl
Tue Jul 1 20:42:53 UTC 2014

Hi,

I plan to retire fuse-smb which allows to mount SMB/Samba shares as
local directories before F21 is branched (2014-07-08).

There have been no new versions since 2008 and the maintainer is not
going to fix problem with crashes related to multi threading issues in
libsmbclient 3.2+. There had been also building issues with Samba 4.0.

Ubunty recommends [1] smbnetfs project [2] as a replacement, but I don't
use this feature anymore and even I have access to Windows machines to
test this use case, so I would not be able to test it carefully with all
further Fedora updates.

Maybe there would be someone else willing to package smbnetfs?

[1] - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FuseSmb
[2] - https://sourceforge.net/projects/smbnetfs/

Marcin