Koschei - continuous rebuilds for packages

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 00:25:26 UTC 2014

Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>
>> Yes, soname bumps are nonevents with OBS, since everything is
>> automatically rebuilt. Sounds like Koschei is a big step towards that.
>
> I've always found it really strange how so many people talk about
> "rebuilding" for soname bumps.  The *entire point* of a soname bump is
> to communicate that the API/ABI has *changed*, and thus it may require
> active human intervention to update callers for the change.  In other

The soname bump reflects a change in ABI.  The API could have stayed the
same.  (But of course, sometimes the ABI bump isn't warranted, and
sometimes manual intervention is necessary.)

Personally, I would welcome such service for Boost bumps.  Most of the
time, the rebuilds just pass.  If I could get e-mails about the 10% or
so of problematic packages for closer inspection, and the rest would
just rebuild without me having to lift a finger, that would be great.

Thanks,
PM