New Fedora 22 Change proposal: systemd-sysusers

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Thu Jul 10 05:17:07 UTC 2014

A non-API related question...

On Thursday 10 July 2014 01:49:41 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Please understand that we are not duplicating "adduser" here. Already in
> the name of the tool we wanted to make clear thtat this is abotu system
> users, nothing else. The file format we defined has been reduced to the
> minimum possible, in order to make it difficult for people to use it for
> anything else than this.

There are cases where a home directory of system users carry some semantics.

Two examples from the top of my head:
 * Some tftpd implementations use it as the base path (and chroot into it)
 * Some anonymous ftpd implementation have similar use (chroot into ~ftp)

So I assume *all* of these cases should be replaced by systemd explicit
settings -- e.g: WorkingDirectory, RootDirectory in the unit file.

Generally, I prefer the explicit systemd settings over home directory
with "magical" effects, but I wonder if anyone is aware of existing
system users which carry more complex semantics.

Thanks,

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron at actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron