Call for testers for FMN

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 16:02:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 09:33:01AM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 07/18/2014 05:47 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> >On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 12:59:12PM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> >>Dne 17.7.2014 16:22, Pierre-Yves Chibon napsal(a):
> >>
> >>Why is the filter called filter? Isn't filter supposed to remove something?
> >>These filter seems to cause that email is sent, so that is probably not
> >>appropriate name IMO.
> >
> >I'm confused, filters should not be named filters?
> >FMN is based on fedmsg, which carries hundred of thousands of messages on a
> >daily basis and unless you explicitely ask, FMN won't be sending to your inbox
> >every single one of them.
> >Sounds to me like filter is the appropriate word here.
>
> Filter generally implies removing things.
>
> Perhaps "subscription" would be better here?

Agreed.  In early development, they were called 'chains' (as in 'a
chain of rules'), but it was decided that that made even less sense.

In future releases I hope to add toggle switches to the things that
are now called 'filters' so that they can be made positive or
negative and conjunctive or disjunctive ('all' versus 'any').