Self Introduction / Contributing a package to Fedora

Derek Pressnall derekp7 at needcaffeine.net
Mon Jul 28 20:18:04 UTC 2014

I have a question about contributing a package to Fedora.  Is it common for
the author of an open source package to act as package maintainer?  Or is
it better to have someone else be the package maintainer (who is more
experienced with the Fedora build processes)?  I'm the author of a backup
utility which fills a niche between tools based on rsync, and the
heavy-weight full featured backup tools, which I think would be a good fit
for a typical Fedora user.  I already have an SRPM available on the Github
project site (www.snebu.com), but it may need a bit more work to get it in
line with the Fedora build system.  I've also been reading through the
package maintainer guidelines, and am willing to go through the process
too, if needed.  I have already created my Fedora and Bugzilla accounts,
and will spin up Koji this weekend to play with.

Thanks,

--Derek