The GNU C Library will be rebased in F21 to match glibc 2.20.

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 16:30:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 02:13:44PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> The fact that a core library that's stability is critical to the
> distribution as a whole doesn't bother to adhere to this and while
> having gone through the hoops of putting in a feature change basically
> then proceeded to completely ignore the requirements of said process
> (ie they dumped a bunch of stuff on the wiki and haven't bothered to
> revisit it and update it since) is some what pathetic in my mind.

As an upstream policy, glibc does not break ABI[1] and we've tried to
adhere to this ever since I started contributing to glibc (which is ~2
years ago).  Any ABI break that happens is a bug and the ABI impact
Carlos talks about is mainly due to such bugs being discovered in
rawhide, which again is not very often.

Siddhesh

[1] We did unknowingly break ABI in S/390 in 2.19 and that will likely
    be fixed in 2.20 and require at least a partial rebuild (perl and
    its modules), but you would have needed the mass rebuild even if
    we would have directly introduced a 2.20 release.