Does Fedora have a technical expertise oriented SIG?

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 6 02:21:00 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 15:26 -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 09:13:07AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > >
> > > Authoritative? Probably FESCo.
> >
> > Well, this sounds like a packaging issue, doesn't it?
>
> Er, no?  I see where you're coming from, and the distinction can be
> somewhat muddled at times.  It is in a package, granted, but so is
> everything else, but "Software should honor TMPDIR and everything across
> the distro should have the same defaults" isn't really about packaging
> the software at all.
>
> > Wouldn't the expected outcome be a packaging guideline for how to deal
> > with temporary directory locations? So, the packaging committee...
>
> Maybe, but maybe not?  Look at it this way: the last times we changed the
> rules here are effectively these two features:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ServicesPrivateTmp
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs
>
> Both of them specify that things should use /tmp - the first for a
> select batch of programs, the second for the whole distro.  In neither
> case is there an FPC ruling on the matter, and in neither case is
> the actual packaging /necessarily/ affected.  If there's no need to have
> a specific rule about where a packager should be installing files, what
> kind of config file should be used to manage something, or other things
> of that nature, this sort of thing usually doesn't go through FPC.

I guess my perspective was the only practical way to change how
something does /tmp is a) change it upstream (in which case it's not
Fedora's business at all) or b) change it in the package (in which case
it seems like a packaging guideline - Thou Shalt Make Sure Thine Package
Uses /tmp Thusly).

I suppose that doesn't cover the case of software whose upstream is a
part of Fedora, though, thinking about it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey