PROPOSAL: Make AppData files mandatory for applications shown in the software center

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Fri Nov 7 02:15:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 09:49:15AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > So, I think your proposal should be amended with the a list kept
> > somewhere on a wiki of applications which must get appdata, and treat
> > this list as blocking for this feature. This list would include
> > applications that are "widely used", which people could extend after
> > providing a short justification. I hope we can agree that emacs falls
> > onto this list, but lshw-gui does not.
>
> Why wouldn't we (Fedora) add an AppData file to the package ourselves
> for such exceptions?
We would. My point is that we should we should make a list of
applications which are not allowed to fall by the wayside, even if
they are slow to provide appdata.

Alternatively, if the list of packages which do not have appdata
shrinks so much, this might not be necessary. But currently that's
just wishful thinking.

Zbyszek