Join to Mozilla Location Service in Fedora

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 18:59:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 18:03:06 +0530
Sudhir Khanger <ml at sudhirkhanger.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, November 06, 2014 08:10:19 PM Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > It's usually opt-in, so you don't have to use it and don't use it by
> > default. This is at least designed as anonymous while Google tracks
> > all Android users and saves their personal location data by default.
>
> I don't mind sharing data as long as the data is shared back in some
> interesting form.
>
> I think it's a misconception that Google saves personal location data
> by default. When you setup your device for the first time it will ask
> you to enable location reporting. You can disable location reporting
> and delete location history on your Android devices using this link
> [1]. You will also lose access to all the value that location aware
> apps provide.

And you do realize this is just a subtle punishment for not
surrendering to them your location data ?

They could simply offer you a middle ground, (say store just one day or
one week of data), but nope, it's either all or nothing, and if you
choose nothing, we'll cripple your service, KTHXBYE.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York