Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sat Nov 15 15:51:28 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-11-15 at 15:06 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> IMHO, we should consider dropping Firefox from Fedora entirely

Showing ads does not make Firefox nonfree. The only reason we should
completely remove Firefox from Fedora is if it starts shipping nonfree
or patent-encumbered code -- like the Cisco binary that just recently
got removed, or that EME module from Adobe that they're planning to
include -- in such a way that is difficult or impossible to strip out.

> in favor of
> Epiphany for Workstation and Midori for the Spins (except the KDE Spin
> which
> already ships Konqueror as the browser).

We're working hard on WebKitGTK+ (and by extension Epiphany, which,
needless to say, will not run ads on the new tab page :) and it will be
ready to replace Firefox as the default in Workstation soon, hopefully
in the F23-F25 time scale, at which time I hope it will be considered
for that role. But it's not yet good enough, and users won't like it if
we switch before it is.

Midori does not securely handle unverified TLS certificates, so it's not
safe to use for HTTPS. It's not even worth considering until that's
fixed.

We should stick with Firefox for the time being, and simply disable the
ad feature one way or another.