Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 17 09:37:40 UTC 2014

>     > This doesn't seem relevant to this discussion, unless Fedora browsers
>     > are automatically, and without the user's explicit knowledge or
>     > permission, navigating to Google's search engine, which (AFAICT) they
>     > are not.
>
>     Same happens with these tiles. No data is sent back to Mozilla unless
>     you *choose* to click one of the promoted tiles.
>

> First, that's not quite true. Firefox does a call home first, where
> Mozilla will then determine your location from your IP (and possibly
> other data presented to them in the future), in order to present you
> with ads. As I understand it, it will do this the first time you open a
> new tab, before you even navigate to any site (such as about:config).

I don't consider my IP address a call to home. Every website you visit
records your IP, so it's hardly sensitive data. Even Gnome checks my
IP's location to fix my timezone.

> Second, a user can easily accidentally click on ad, since it is mixed
> among other tiles, with the user's browsing habits.

And a user may accidentally start searching on the Google search box
before she realizes that she sends data to Google "as she types" (that's
how you get recommendations).

Again, this thing we discuss is already happening on Gnome Shell. Type
"twitter" on your Gnome's search box. And I don't think there is a way
currently to disable this. So please get your facts straight before
start suggesting we change default browser.