Mozilla enabled ads in Firefox and they're active in Fedora

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 17 18:26:33 UTC 2014

On 11/17/2014 09:35 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 11/16/2014 06:31 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 11/15/2014 11:41 PM, Johannes Lips wrote:
>>
>>> I don't really understand the issue at all.
>
>> We have a "no-phone-home" and "no-spy" policy in Fedora.
>
> I don't think we do.
It's should be to be part of the FPG ;)

We (FPC) were fighting packages phoning home since the earliest days of
FPC - You might recall the discussions on phone-home and data-privacy in
smolt, abrt and packages wanting to add "3rd party repos".

I also believe to recall FPC once having discussed how to handle
packages which distribute ads, but I don't recall us having taken a
decision - I personally, would be very strongly opposed to this, because
this would open a can of worms in many areas.

It's certainly an area, which in the ages of espionage, big-data, ads
and virus-infected ads needs to be clarified.

> Anaconda, for example, phones home even before you select the
> installation media.
What does it transmit? IIRC, the only permitted "phone-home" was
accessing "yum metadata" and mirrorlists.

Ralf