Status of weak dependencies support in Fedora 21+

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 08:24:31 UTC 2014

On 15. 11. 2014 at 14:51:32, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jan Silhan wrote:
> >> 3. The page says "The depsolver may offer to treat the weak like very
> >> weak relations or the other way round" does dnf do that? or not?
> >
> > DNF doesn't do that and never will. IMO that would be too hackish
> > behavior.
>
> It's not "hackish", it's "configurable". Letting the user decide whether
> they want to have weak dependencies installed or not is part of the whole
> point of having them.

I believe there is a misunderstanding there. It should be possible to "move
the bar" of what's going to be selected for installation. I believe what Honza
was referring to is that dnf will not support cases where it would swap the
semantics of weak and very weak deps (i.e. treat Recommends as Suggests and
vice versa).

Thanks
Jan